Friday, June 18, 2010

Libertarianism Explored


In recent years, Libertarianism and Constitutionalism have enjoyed dramatic spikes in popularity, particularly since Barack Obama won the White House. Although it is typically unfair to lump complex opinions and movements into broad categories, current Libertarians are often thought of wearing straw hats with Lipton tea bags dangling from the brims or as enthusiastically lining up to support Ron or Rand Paul.

For now decades, the U.S. Federal government has had serious credibility issues with the American people. Given episodes of scandal, incompetence, delusion and sometimes criminal behavior (literally and figuratively) it is easy to see how even situations of healthy disagreements with elected officials has turned into vilification of our government.

It is somewhat beside the point as inappropriate behaviors of any magnitude cannot be tolerated. However, I do believe that in many ways our government is less corrupt and more honest than at many other (perhaps most other) points in our history. The two key differences today are the media and information landscape AND that the stakes are much higher today. The world moves much faster and is much more interconnected than ever before in human history. Higher stakes require much higher standards of behavior.

Current information technology is both a blessing and a curse. On one hand, our elected officials are more accountable than ever before in our history--misbehavior does not last long given the ample supply of journalists, anchors, reports, commentators and bloggers currently at work.

The downside is we have turned on each other and the press seeking ratings and readers does a great deal to find drama and excitement in what might have seemed fairly mundane in decades past. Today, what might have been a healthy and much needed debate turns into a misrepresented circus that makes or breaks political careers.

It was within this media circus that I became at first disgusted by, then intrigued by the Libertarian sentiment gaining traction across our nation. What are these tea bag adorned Americans trying to tell us? Do they themselves really know? Unsure of these questions and intensely curious, I decided to explore the Libertarian platform.

The primary reason for this exploration was selfish...I needed to formulate my opinions as they relate to this movement. I was at first angry and disgusted by the appearance of Lipton tea bags seemingly stimulated by a black Democrat winning the White House—there were few if any tea bags and far too little outrage when a white, middle-aged Texan was violating virtually every tenant of the Libertarian platform (and more than a couple U.S. and international laws to boot).

But, I have gotten over this. I needed to explore for myself Libertarian philosophy and formulate my opinions accordingly.

I also thought that this exploration might help me to heal from a very, very disturbing encounter I had a few months ago. I was so angered by this incident, that I found myself falling into the trap of stereotyping all Libertarians as disingenuous blowhards. Stereotyping any classification of people is generally destructive and I work hard to avoid it.

The incident went like this.

I was minding my own business waiting for a friend at a local restaurant. A man sitting next to me was also waiting for a friend, so we started chit chatting. Some enough he volunteered that he was a Libertarian and a Constitutionalist. Interested, I asked him what these positions meant to him as they pertain to common current political issues.

He replied that he believed in personal liberty above all else and that the U.S. Constitution should be adhered to in a strict and literal fashion.

I agreed that I thought that the Constitution was obviously a critical document and should be upheld with the utmost dedication. Generations have died defending this document so it most certainly should not be taken lightly. However, the Constitution was in my view designed to be a living document and interpretation and debate is often needed as we work to preserve the integrity of the Constitution in our nation today.

Not so, the gentleman replied. There is no interpretation necessary and the Supreme Court is unconstitutional. Attempting clarification I asked, "You mean that the Supreme Court has delivered opinions that are in your view unconstitutional?" He replied no, that the existence of the Supreme Court is unconstitutional.

"Um...I am confused. You do realize that the entity that is the Supreme Court was formed by the Constitution, so it is illogical and incorrect to say that its existence is unconstitutional."

OK, I do try really hard not to be condescending when faced with sheer insanity and an uninformed position, but too often I betray myself. Trying to debate an unfounded position with someone who clearly slept through every civics lesson every presented to him…it was difficult to contain myself. I am sure that there was a "tone" in my voice.

When faced with the blinding reality of his ridiculous position, he was ANGRY. Rabid dog style mad. His face turned red, he started yelling and I actually thought he was going to hit me. Seriously, had no one ever pointed out that the Supreme Court was formed by the Constitution? Did this guy simply not care about this inconvenient truth?

Needless to say, I removed myself from the situation and after my initial anger wore off I was really sad. Is this what America has come to? Are passionate, evangelical style opinions based on nonsensical premises the order of the day? Our Founding Fathers had diverse opinions, can we no longer engage in one activity that most of them viewed as vitally necessary--debate and exchange of ideas?

Rather than stew in anger and myself hold uninformed positions about the Libertarian movement, I decided to explore the Libertarian platform key item by key item.

My next several blog posts will host this exploration. Of course these are solely my opinions. I hope that you do not accept any of my opinions at face value.

Read. Think. Explore. Debate. These are many of the activities that made this country great and I believe that these activities are important keys for the future promise of our great nation.

God Bless and God Bless America.

2 comments:

  1. I love your posts. Keep them comming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting story and that encounter is one all of us have probably had at least once (if you are my age of 68 anyway!).

    The important thing to me is not so much that it is crucial to engage people such as the guy you talked to, but to do everything we can to uphold our sense of opposition to his views.

    Nothing you say will change him. We can only strengthen our views among the folks over whom we have influence. We must create ways to be clear and define our positions and communicate with those people who are receptive and who respect our opinions.

    We need to be watchful and make our public servants accountable. Not just by voting but by communicating with them as much as we can.

    When all else fails, we need to be ready to march...to boycott...whatever 'peaceful' means it takes.

    The fight never ends. The best thing an encounter does is to keep you vigilant. There are many folks out there who hold views such as that man.

    We need to do everything we can to make sure his view does not become the majority. If not, we are in big trouble.

    ~Carol Niec

    ReplyDelete