Friday, June 25, 2010

A Few Minutes of Travel Within a Tourist’s Paradise

To me the difference between traveling and touring is that travel changes you, touring fills scrapbooks and photo albums. Like great writing, movies, art and other experiences, travel allows you to see the world differently. By allowing places, people, food and histories to touch your heart and your mind, you are never exactly the same after the experience.

I have been fortunate enough to do a decent amount of both traveling and touring in my life and hope to do much more.

When we decided to go on an Alaskan cruise to celebrate my father-in-law’s 80th birthday I was excited about the opportunity to see at least parts of Alaska and to spend time with my family. I was frankly worried, however, that I would not have any opportunity to travel. That we would be so scheduled with excursions and ping-pong tournaments that I would have no chance to get at least some sense of what Alaska is…to let the place touch me in some way.

Southeast Alaska is unspeakably beautiful. There is a majesty and uniqueness that I have experienced very few other places. I was relieved to discover for myself that even in a sea of bodies trying to hustle their way to the next souvenir shop, you can find moments to “travel” if you allow yourself.

For instance, we visited the Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau. It was spectacular and heart-breaking at the same time. The glacier and the area are stunningly beautiful and it reminded me how small each of us is both physically and our individual time on this planet.


It was also really sad. The glacier is now retreating (shrinking) 200-250 feet per year. Just 10 years ago it was retreating 60 feet per year. It does not take a mathematical genius to calculate that the pace of change is dramatically accelerating. Our planet is unquestionably in a warming period, but the planet has cooled and warmed many times over the course of its existence.

Although warming and cooling is a natural process, the vast belching of emissions into our atmosphere is speeding the process dramatically according to nearly all reputable scientists. The debate within the scientific community is not whether or not man is causing or radically contributing to global warming, the debate is when will we begin having very real problems (is it 20 years, 50 years….?). The scientific debate is also what to do about it now and a good number of scientists are working to develop emergency plans if/when the plans become necessary.

It is virtually only radical religious leaders, self-interested business groups and politicians pandering to these organizations that try to cast doubt on man’s contribution to the problem of global warming. Much of the public is confused or ambivalent….exactly the status many desire.

So, it was with this knowledge that I marveled at the majestic Mendenhall Glacier. On one hand it is wondrous, powerful and ancient. On the other hand, there is a weakness, just a little bit of this majestic mass crying out for help.

As I walked the paths, I watched people stream back and forth. For portions of the walk I had tears welling in my eyes and I wondered….is there anyone else who is being dramatically touched by this experience? Has anyone else “traveled” and let this glacier, thousands of years old, change them? Have they allowed themselves to feel with their hearts as they experience first-hand the damage we are doing to our planet?

Or, will they snap their photos, tell there friends and family at home how beautiful it was as they hop into their SUVs, crank up the AC and stop at the local Wal-Mart on their way home to buy a bunch of stuff they don’t really need?

No comments:

Post a Comment